Help in the Courts

Criminal Court

When there has been an arrest, Family Violence Victim Advocates educate victims about criminal court and advocate for them within the system. They do not offer legal advice. With the victim’s permission, an advocate can provide crucial information to court officials.

  • Advocate on the victims behalf
  • Help victims understand protective orders
  • Understand law enforcement and criminal court procedures
  • Provide moral support and community referrals

Although New Horizons does not have a dedicated Civil Court Advocate, we are able to assist in restraining order applications, and provide general information and referrals related to civil court proceedings.

Office of the Family Violence Victim Advocate
Middlesex County Courthouse
1 Court Street, 4th Floor
Middletown, CT 06457


Restraining Order Application and information

Download an application and get instructions on filing here.

  • It is free to apply
  • Applications may be completed prior to coming to court, but MUST NOT BE SIGNED until dropped off to the civil clerk’s office at the Middlesex County Courthouse, 1 Court Street, 2nd Floor, Middletown, CT.

This video describes how to apply for a Temporary Restraining Order, including who may apply for a restraining order and what forms need to be completed.


Additional Helpful Links:

Track pending cases 

Register for case updates to be received by phone or email, through CT SAVIN (Statewide Automated Victim Information & Notification)

Additional Family Court “How To’s”